I Wanna Be (S)elected
In late June a tweet by Underware caught my eye. It enumerated all the type and design conferences coming up. Deciding I wanted to get out more, I couldn’t resist the temptation and sent in proposals to half a dozen of them. Within a week I received my first invitation from Inspire.conf, a “brand new and affordable conference about web design, type & code on Europe’s mainland”, promising “two days of inspiring talks by some of the most respected speakers on the web”. On the same day it was announced that Elliot Jay Stocks couldn’t make it due to a scheduling conflict, I was added to the line-up. The speaker list looks really promising, and the conference interesting. But there is more…
Literally the next day after I sent the initial proposals I received an e-mail from Rock That Font’s Shawn O’Keefe who was visiting Europe for a few SXSW-related speaking engagements. In our exchange he encouraged me to submit my Trajan in Movie Posters talk to their 2012 SXSW Panelpicker. Which I did. Now the PanelPicker voting interface has gone live at 2:00PM Central Daylight Time today I could use your help.
The SXSW PanelPicker allows the community to have a significant voice in programming Interactive, Film, and Music conference activities for SXSWeek 2012 (March 9-18). The introduction to the interface explains
SXSW is a community-driven event. So, knowing what kinds of topics you want to hear at the event next March is extremely important to us. Your votes and comments account for about 30% of the decision-making process for any given programming slot.
Also important is the input of the SXSW Advisory Board, which is a group of industry professionals from across the US and around the world. The final part of the panel decision-making equation is the input of the SXSW staff.
This interface allows all of the online community to vote on which ideas they believe are most appropriate for the 2012 event.
As my proposal is buried amidst the 182 submissions for SXSW Film and the 3790 (!) for SXSW Interactive I guess it can’t hurt to promote them a little and do some lobbying. Here are the direct links to my submissions.
- Two Decades of Trajan in Movie Posters at SXSW Interactive 2012
- Two Decades of Trajan in Movie Posters at SXSW Film 2012
If you think my presentation to be a worthy addition to either or both of the programmes, please vote for me. And please feel free to comment or ask questions on the respective PanelPicker pages. Voting will close on Friday, September 2.
I wanna be (s)elected. ; )
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- A semi-serious investigation about the most popular typeface in movie poster history.…Read more
- A round-up of what I attended at the Film component of SXSW 2012.…Read more
- The results for the 2012 SXSW Film Design Awards for Excellence in Poster and Title Design.…Read more
- The results for the 2014 SXSW Film Design Awards for Excellence in Poster and Title Design.…Read more
- A semi-serious investigation about the most popular typeface in movie poster history, touching upon type selection and typography trends in…Read more