I AMsterdam in Avenir
As much as I’d like to claim we’re the only group to think of it, there is more than one “I Am” campaign. Adidas and Reebok have both used the phrase in recent marketing. (That’s everyone’s favorite blackletter, Fette Fraktur, in the Reebok ads.)
But my favorite “I am” (other than our own of course) is the city of Amsterdam’s decidedly typographic public art installation, “I amsterdam”, set in 10 pt.ft. Avenir. The piece coincides with a new motto and website for the Netherlands capital’s tourism campaign and it works beautifully. The only quibble might be that a country with such a rich type culture ought to use a Dutch face rather than something born in Switzerland. Yet Frutiger‘s sans works so well it’s hard to complain.
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- Now that last week’s very successful TypeCon Portl& is over – congratulations to Zuzana Licko for being the recipient of the…Read more
- Vivid gallery Rotterdam presents “80 20 100”, an exhibition with 100 designs by Wim Crouwel celebrating his 80th birthday, and…Read more
- This weekend A2-TYPE – the type foundry set up in 2010 by Henrik Kubel and Scott Williams’ design studio A2/Sw/Hk – posted…Read more
- The 1972 end-of-the-year double issue of Life magazine reveals what were the popular typefaces in the early seventies.…Read more
- Caution! Falling counters!…Read more
- ScreenFonts: Thor, Last Night, Bridesmaids, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, Midnight In Paris, Kung Fu Panda 2 (11)