Hardcore: Prepress Tattoo
Long time Adobe InDesign product manager Will Eisley is so dedicated to his job that it has gotten under his skin – quite literally. Will recently had his initials tattooed on his inner forearms, together with the registration marks, crop marks, and colour and grayscale bars which are part of InDesign’s printing marks. The next ink he has planned are “a series of 3′s in ITC Franklin Gothic Heavy. One of the best 3′s in all of typography, IMO”.
People tattooing their favourite brands or products on their bodies is not a new phenomenon – Nivas developer Daemon had the Adobe logo tattooed on the inside of his left wrist. Nor are typographic tattoos; art director, designer, writer, photographer and professor (at The City College of New York) Ina Saltz was the first to devote an entire book to this phenomenon. Body Type: Intimate Messages Etched in Flesh explores the ideas and emotions behind this indelible commitment. From Shakespeare to Radiohead, from Dante to James Joyce, from celebrations of love to homage and memorial, the wide breadth of messages captured provides insight into the human condition. The book – which has been called inspiring, shocking, and voyeuristic – is recommended reading and viewing, not only for tattoo aficionados, but also for all lovers of the written word.
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- Contrariwise is a website about literary tattoos – tattoos based on books, poems, lyrics, and many other literary sources.…Read more
- An overview of the nominees and winners of the 54th Grammy Awards in the fields Package and Music Video.…Read more
- Typolade is more than just chocolate letters. It’s delicious moveable type in dark chocolate, created by Sandra Kübler and Christine…Read more
- The issues in Mac OS X 10.6.7 occur with PostScript-flavoured OpenType fonts, and concern PDF files and printing.…Read more
- An overview of the nominees and winners of the 51st Grammy Awards in the fields Package and Music Video.…Read more