Gustavo Ferreira Appointed Director Of InfraStruction At FontStruct
Great news for users and fans of FontStruct. FontShop has appointed Gustavo Ferreira as Product Manager for its recently awarded online free font-building tool. Gustavo Ferreira is a designer specialised in digital type design and typography, but whose interests encompasses a variety of other areas that influence his design work in one way or another. He joins Rob Meek who will now be able to concentrate more on the inner workings of FontStruct, and on further improving the website. FontStruct users will have noticed Gustavo already took over the reins of most of support and communication, set up the FontStruct Twitter account, and he will soon introduce himself on Brick by Brick: News about FontStruct.
A native from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, Gustavo Ferreira has lived in many other places (Brasília, Manaus, São Paulo, Cologne, Hamburg, Schwäbisch Gmünd, Den Haag). Living in different cultures taught him from an early age to look at things from many different angles simultaneously. He is fluent in Portuguese, English, and German, and is currently learning Dutch.
Gustavo received a Bachelor degree in Graphic and Product Design at Escola Superior de Desenho Industrial – ESDI, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, a Masters degree in Communication, Planning and Design at the Hochschule für Gestaltung Schwäbisch Gmünd, Germany , and another one in Type design and typography at Type&Media at the Royal Academy of Arts – KABK, The Hague, The Netherlands.
He has given type design workshops, and done presentations on free & open-source fonts, with details about the design of the custom type family for the University of Brasília (UnB) and its further development, the type-family Publica (Tipografia Pública); on type for digital screens, with two case studies: the Elementar bitmap font system and Quantica, a TrueType-hinted outline font (Tipografia Quântica); on an experiment in automating the Elementar Method, together with Frederik Berlaen at the RoboThon Conference, The Hague, April 2005 (Elementar Synthetic); and on a parametric bitmap font system designed to offer more typographic flexibility on digital screens at the ATypI Conference, Helsinki, September 2005 (Elementar, a flexible bitmap font system).
During the last 5 years Gustavo has been developing a set of flexible type families – Elementar, Quantica, Publica, Mechanica, Geometrica, Amazonica, Synthetica and Jornalistica. He is currently finishing these families and preparing to launch his digital type foundry Hipertipo. His Elementar bitmap font system will be released through Typotheque. Besides his personal typographic projects Gustavo works on lettering, type design and font production jobs for specific clients. Gustavo currently lives in Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
Gustavo Ferreira’s experience in modular bitmap type design and his Master degree in Type design and typography make him the ideal Director of InfraStructure for FontStruct. As he says himself:
In Grid We Trust.
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- The first ever edible FontStruction premiered at the “Typofreaks – different typography” workshop in Brazil.…Read more
- FontStruct’s Director of InfraStruction Gustavo Ferreira gives an in-depth report of a week-long type design workshop at HfG Schwäbisch Gmünd,…Read more
- Over the last two years FontStruct has grown into a community of over 270,000 typographic bricklayers.…Read more
- More and more educators are mining the potential of FontShop’s free online modular font editor, both in the regular courses…Read more
- The 16 meter long LED display in the new reception building of the Technische Universität Darmstadt uses four pixel fonts…Read more
- ScreenFonts: Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Under The Skin, Hateship Loveship, The Quiet Ones (4)
- ScreenFonts: Thor, Last Night, Bridesmaids, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, Midnight In Paris, Kung Fu Panda 2 (11)