Get Your Daily Dose of Type In 2014 With Typodarium
The new year starts in three months, so you know what time it is – time to start thinking about agendas, calendars and other printed paraphernalia to help you keep track of time, events and appointments. If you go for a tear-off calendar, it basically is a no-brainer for us graphic designers, typographers and other type lovers. The sixth edition of Typodarium was announced this summer and is currently on sale in the Slanted shop. Typodarium 2014 is your daily dose of typography – every page shows a new typeface on the front, and a some information about its creation or inspiration on the back. It gives you the unique opportunity to discover new type all year long.
For the sixth year in a row Lars Harmsen (MAGMA Brand Design) and Raban Ruddigkeit (+ Ruddigkeit) invited type designers and foundries from all over the world to showcase their freshest and boldest, most successful and most unusual fonts in the award-winning Typodarium. Each year sees the typographic tear-off calendar increase in popularity – it is amongst others on sale at the MoMA store in New York. The production values are really nice. This year’s box which can be used to store the torn-off pages is printed in metallic turquoise and blue. The calendar itself is a joy to flip through. Of course it cannot compete with an actual type compendium or catalogue, but that is not really its purpose. The calendar is more a tool for discovery, for serendipitous typographic encounters that set you on your way to find out more about the typefaces you metaphorically ran into.
For the third time the publishers were assisted by a jury in the selection process. All the submissions were reviewed by type design veteran Ed Benguiat, type designers Veronika Burian and Luc(as) de Groot, corporate designer, entrepeneur and President of tgm – Typographische Gesellschaft München e.V. Boris Kochan, and graphic designer and writer Ian Lynam.
Besides being sold via the Slanted website, Typodarium 2012 is distributed in design and museum shops, and selected bookstores around the world.
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- The tear-off calendar will offer daily typographic inspiration with 366 typefaces to discover throughout the whole year of 2012.…Read more
- Type designers and foundries are invited to contribute to the Typodarium 2011, the third edition of the typographic tear-off calendar.…Read more
- Type designers and foundries are invited to contribute to the Typodarium 2012, the fourth edition of the typographic tear-off calendar.…Read more
- Typodarium 2010 is the first typographic tear-off calendar, featuring 365 type designs from 180 foundries and designers hailing from 30…Read more
- The tear-off calendar will offers daily typographic inspiration with 365 typefaces to discover throughout the whole year.…Read more