Gestalten.tv Interviews Ken Barber
Yesterday a short but sweet interview with art director / type designer / letterer extraordinaire Ken Barber surfaced on Vimeo. House Industries’ lead letterer recently visited Berlin to give the two-day workshop Hand-Lettering in Graphic Design at the Gestalten Space. Gestalten took this chance to interview him on Gestalten.tv where he talks about the necessity of specialization and the fine lines between lettering, typography, and type design.
The two-day workshop explored the creative process of hand-lettering and the application of illustrative letterforms in contemporary graphic design. Sharing some of the studio’s best-kept secrets, Ken introduced participants to letter-drawing basics, various production techniques utilized to create sophisticated letterforms, and an instructional demonstration on how to digitize and vectorize analog lettering. Participants had the opportunity to take what they learned and apply these hands-on techniques to design their own custom wordmarks.
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- Freshjive, Reserve, and AIGA/LA present an exhibition of hand lettered posters by John Downer; opening reception Thursday, August 13, 2009.…Read more
- A video showing Dusty Signs’ Dan Madsen hand-lettering a sign for his business. Observe the artist at work.…Read more
- This weekend A2-TYPE – the type foundry set up in 2010 by Henrik Kubel and Scott Williams’ design studio A2/Sw/Hk – posted…Read more
- The first images of TypeCon2009 “Rhythm” are starting to trickle in on the TypeCon Pool on Flickr.…Read more
- 33pt. Eskapade – Contributions to Typography was announced with a beautiful trailer and invitation clips for six of the speakers.…Read more