German Bold Italic, A Song About A Typeface
Lots of songs can be connected to type and typographic subjects, but GBI may be the only song specifically about a typeface. GBI – short for German Bold Italic – is a collaboration of Towa Tei with Kylie Minogue. The single was featured on the Japanese DJ’s 1998 album Sound Museum. Towa Tei was best known as one of the DJs behind New York club sensations Deee-Lite. Interestingly the song incorporates a couple of samples also used in Groove Is In The Heart, their biggest hit which he produced.
The clip for GBI, directed by then-boyfriend Stéphane Sednaoui, is considered as one of Kylie Minogue’s most bizarre videos. At a point where she was going through a difficult phase in her career the Australian singer added vocals to this techno-influenced dance record. The result is probably the most avant-garde single in her career, and definitely the most obscure.
The song is not about any imaginary typeface. German Bold Italic is an actual font included as a bonus feature on the CD single and the enhanced CD version of the Sound Museum album, and can be seen on the single cover.
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- Renate Kampmanns’ Fremder Schmerz wins the Bloody Cover 2009 award for the most beautiful cover for a German language crime…Read more
- The last weekend of May the Hamilton Wood Type & Museum in Two Rivers, Wisconsin hosts a weekend-long celebration of…Read more
- The music video for “Nein Mann” by German electro house project Laserkraft 3D features hand lettering and dingbats that visualise…Read more
- Hosted by AIGA Atlanta, SEED is the premiere design competition in the Southeast, recognising the top creative work in the…Read more
- It always seems magical when a piece of graphic design transcends the flat plane and enters the third dimension. The…Read more
- ScreenFonts: Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Under The Skin, Hateship Loveship, The Quiet Ones (9)