Funky Experimental Typographic Poetry In Flickermood
The weekend is upon us, and I am feeling in a strangely funky mood today – not that I have any reason to. I thought I’d throw an animated typography classic at you. Type designer and MA Typeface Design alumnus from the University of Reading Paul Hunt once suggested Flickermood for inclusion in the Typophile Film Fest. This video was directed and animated by Sebastian Lange, motion designer at Qu-Int. Text fragments from the poem Mutability by 19th century English Romantic poet Percy Bysshe Shelley were animated in Adobe AfterEffects, flawlessly synchronised to an edit of the contemporary funky jazz breaks track Flickermood by Forss from Sonar Kollektiv. The most recent version of this experimental typographic orgy was expanded to almost three minutes of mind-blowing animated typography.
What sets this video apart from most others is the astonishing musicality of the animated typography and the ingenuity of the motion and effects. Whereas many of these typographic animations fall back on the same couple of effects, this one keeps surprising the viewer throughout its entire duration. Sebastian Lange’s Flickermood has been screened and awarded on several festivals and events, and published in numerous magazines and blogs. Enjoy, then get of yo’ lazy ass and shake that booty! It’s party time.
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- The FontFeed occasionally covers animated typography in motion graphics, music videos, commercials, title sequences and so on. Yet this is…Read more
- The organisation of the 33pt typography symposium 2009 have posted a slew of presentations and interviews on Vimeo, many of…Read more
- The motion graphics piece “A Short History of Marketing” by Michael Reissinger, Creative Manager with Deli Pictures traces the history…Read more
- PsychoTypoGraph, the wonderful short film by Spanish multimedia label The Cocoe Conspiracy, is a trip inside the dream of an…Read more
- The coming three days I will be at Reasons To Be Creative festival, Brighton’s September conference for coders and designers.…Read more
- ScreenFonts: Thor, Last Night, Bridesmaids, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, Midnight In Paris, Kung Fu Panda 2 (11)