Fountain: A Conversation with Göran Söderström
Not a part of our FontCast series, Fountain has published a video interview with Göran Söderström. It is the first in a series of portraits showcasing type designers who publish typefaces through the friendly Swedish type foundry. In March 2010 Peter Bruhn – a type designer in his own right and owner of Fountain – packed his gear, and flew up to Stockholm to have a conversation with Göran about his typefaces and his thoughts on type design. In the interview Göran discusses his design process, explains why Optima is the perfect typeface, reveals the concepts behind his Meadow and Heroine, gives us a sneak preview of what he is working on now, and even treats us to some delicate finger picking guitar play at the very end. The subtitles look just lovely in Meadow, and the titles are set in Peter and Göran’s work in progress Satura. The background music to the video was composed and performed by Peter Bruhn himself.
Göran Söderström (b. 1974) is a self-taught Swedish type designer and font developer. The typeface that started his obsession with type in 1994 was the initial sketches for his first typeface, Exemplar, but it was not until 2006 he took this obsession seriously and started his own type studio, Autodidakt. Since then he has published several typefaces through different foundries. Today Göran works in typeface development at Pangea design in Stockholm, Sweden.
When not doing typefaces he likes to pick up one of his favourite instruments, the guitar or the bass guitar.
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- Fountain has produced a very convincing and beautiful Woody Allen-like promotional trailer for its newest typeface release Heroine.…Read more
- DN Grotesk, the custom typeface for Swedish newspaper Dagens Nyheter, was reworked into FF Dagny and released through FontFont.…Read more
- Besides attending the ATypI 2013 conference as a reporter/blogger, I conducted three short interviews for Talking Types, the podcast series…Read more
- All type lovers should grab a beer (or other refreshment) and take an hour off to enjoy the work from…Read more
- Mike Parker, consultant, type historian, and type designer at the Font Bureau, Inc. died on Monday, February 25, 2014.…Read more