FontStruct Workshop At Campus Party Brazil 2009
More and more educators are mining the potential of FontStruct. For example the upcoming Focus On FontStructors interview that I am currently wrapping up features Peter De Roy a.k.a. Typerider, who teaches Graphic Design at KASK, the Royal Academy of Fine Arts in Gent, Belgium, and integrated FontStruct in the typography chapter of the course. Another example is Brazilian graphic artist, type designer, photographer, and pornographer Tony de Marco*. Last January Tony used FontStruct for an introductory type design workshop at Campus Party Brazil, a huge geek conference/camp in his hometown São Paulo.
Over 6,500 people took part in this second edition of what is arguably Latin America’s largest technology and digital culture event, bringing discussions around blogs, robotics, photography and video, games, modding, free software, digital inclusion, and even ecology. FontStruct was ideally suited for the type design workshop – it is very user-friendly, with a straightforward interface and a low treshold. For two hours, over 40 people without any previous typographic knowledge used FontShop‘s free online modular font editor to design and generate their own pixel fonts.
And in March Portuguese designer Pedro Amado used FontStruct in a workshop at the DeCa in Aveiro, Portugal. During the session about 50 students were challenged to create a modular typeface. These examples serve to illustrate the huge potential for FontStruct in type design education. Every month, dozens of new users from all over the world join the FontStruct community and use FontStructor to express their typographic creativity and create their first font. It was never so easy to design a typeface, so join in with the fun!
|(*)||Tony de Marco is – together with Claudio Rocha – editor of the magazine Tupigrafia, a small format Brazilian typographic magazine packed full of great visual content. His typeface Samba won Linotype‘s International Type Design Contest 2003. Tony is currently busy painting his Pixação-inspired Autropelo motifs 20 meters above ground on the concrete towers of Ibirapuera Park, in the centre of São Paulo.|
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- The first ever edible FontStruction premiered at the “Typofreaks – different typography” workshop in Brazil.…Read more
- Over the last two years FontStruct has grown into a community of over 270,000 typographic bricklayers.…Read more
- FontStruct’s Director of InfraStruction Gustavo Ferreira gives an in-depth report of a week-long type design workshop at HfG Schwäbisch Gmünd,…Read more
- FontShop has appointed Gustavo Ferreira as Product Manager for its recently awarded online free font-building tool FontStruct.…Read more
- Peter Biľak, the founder of Typotheque (and former editor of Dot Dot Dot magazine) is starting a new design magazine,…Read more
- ScreenFonts: Stoker, Dead Man Down, The Incredible Burt Wonderstone, Tyler Perry’s Temptation, Wrong (4)