FontCast #7 — Dyana Weissman on Kerning
As designers, kerning is one of those esoteric terms we love to use. Not only is it vital to quality typography, it’s also a great word to throw into a conversation with non-designers whenever we want to sound smart or abstruse. But how much do we really understand about kerning and how it’s applied? At ATypI in Mexico City I broached these topics with Dyana Weissman of The Font Bureau, one of the few type designers who claims to actually enjoy the tedious task of assigning thousands of kern pairs to each font. She explains the difference between kerning and spacing, why it should be done by hand, and the mystical concept of flow.
Click here to watch the FontCast or simply push play below.
Read more about Dyana’s process and listen to her soundtrack at Font Bureau’s Type 101 blog.
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- FontShop is proud to offer fonts from TypeTogether, a foundry that has become a household name among editorial designers. I…Read more
- Part two of our two part series with Jim Parkinson. Type designer and Logo designer for Rolling Stone, Newsweek, …Read more
- After years of working as a magazine art director in Brazil, Crystian Cruz took a hiatus to the UK’s University…Read more
- In FontCast’s search for typographic designers with interesting stories to tell we talk to Jim Parkinson.…Read more
- New Bohemia Signs carries on the tradition of hand-made sign-painting to create new markers for the next generation of city…Read more
- ScreenFonts: Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Under The Skin, Hateship Loveship, The Quiet Ones (4)
- ScreenFonts: Thor, Last Night, Bridesmaids, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, Midnight In Paris, Kung Fu Panda 2 (11)