FontCast #10 — Jim Parkinson, Part 1
In FontCast’s search for typographic designers with interesting stories to tell we knew we didn’t have to go far to find Jim Parkinson — he’s just across the water from FontShop San Francisco in Oakland.
Jim is a Bay Area native, returning after a short stint at Hallmark in Kansas City to design the iconic logotype for Rolling Stone during its heyday in the early ’70s. That work led to hundreds of other magazine and newspaper nameplates (Newsweek, Billboard, Esquire, LA Times), band logos, and typeface designs over the next four decades.
At 69, Jim is still going strong, wielding FontLab and paintbrush to create new works of art. We met him at his home studio to talk about letters and life, from the days of beatniks and hippies to his takes on art school and businessmen (AKA “cigar-smoking twits”). This is the first of two parts from our visit. Look for Part Two next week.
Click here to watch the FontCast or simply push play below.
Update: Apr 7, 2010 — Part two of our two part interview with Jim Parkinson can be viewed here: FontCast #11.
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- Part two of our two part series with Jim Parkinson. Type designer and Logo designer for Rolling Stone, Newsweek, …Read more
- After years of working as a magazine art director in Brazil, Crystian Cruz took a hiatus to the UK’s University…Read more
- FontShop is proud to offer fonts from TypeTogether, a foundry that has become a household name among editorial designers. I…Read more
- Dyana of The Font Bureau explains the difference between kerning and spacing, why it should be done by hand, and…Read more
- FontFont represents some of the most talented and interesting type designers in the world. In celebration of FontShop’s 20th…Read more
- ScreenFonts: Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Under The Skin, Hateship Loveship, The Quiet Ones (4)
- ScreenFonts: Thor, Last Night, Bridesmaids, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, Midnight In Paris, Kung Fu Panda 2 (11)