First ISType – Istanbul Type Seminars In September
It’s always refreshing to hear typographic news from countries that are less often featured on The FontFeed. This is why it gives me great pleasure to announce the inaugural ISType (Istanbul Type Seminars) which runs from September 11 to 14. This lecture and workshop series conceived by typographers / designers / educators Onur Yazıcıgil (Sabancı University) and Alessandro Segalini (Izmir University of Economics) is devoted to encouraging typographic literacy in Turkey.
The first edition of this annual event will feature lectures and practical workshops meant to set structured approaches to typographic education and theory by embracing history, calligraphy, technology, math, programming, and drawing and art. The workshops and lectures are:
- The Calligraphic Line: Expressing Yourself in Letterforms by text artist and calligrapher Brody Neuenschwander
- Publications: A Designers’ Update by systematic designer Petr van Blokland
- Lettering in the streets of Italy by typographic designer and calligrapher James Clough
- Typography in Design Curricula by information designer Karel van der Waarde
- The Gestural Roots and Future of Roman Type by Professor in Design Ewan Clayton
- Type Design with FontLab® and the Most Important OS by communication designer and typographer Alessandro Segalini
- Text Invader: A Graphic Interference on Linguistics by typographer and illustrator Onur Yazıcıgil
ISType will offer students, professionals and enthusiasts an international gathering where ideas and inspiration can be shared. Moreover, ISType aims to contribute to the development of a typographic heritage in Turkey in which future generations can explore and create further contributions to typographic design and practice.
In an ever-changing world, people inherently continue to alter their voices in order to adapt to the prevailing needs and tastes of the time. Typography is also affected, and now is a crucial moment to enhance typographic literacy. By valuing an international exchange of ideas and practices, ISType acts to explore the origins of typography and to better understand the direction it is heading.
More detailed information about the speakers and program, and how to register can be found on the ISType website. ISType 2011 is held in conjunction with ISEA Istanbul 2011, and is also sponsored by Sabancı University and Mas Matbaa.
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- Ampersand wasn’t the only type conference this past weekend. From June 15 to 18 a sizable part of the type…Read more
- It seems to me that organisers of type and design conferences are becoming slightly sadistic. After every event video impressions…Read more
- Istanbul-based motion graphics studio Imago New Media produced a one minute advertisement for the launch of Turkish Edition of The…Read more
- This experimental video by n9ve visualises concepts and objects referring to the letters of the alphabet.…Read more
- Lettering vs Calligraphy is the repository of a visual dialogue between letterer Martina Flor and calligrapher Guiseppe Salerno.…Read more
- ScreenFonts: Stoker, Dead Man Down, The Incredible Burt Wonderstone, Tyler Perry’s Temptation, Wrong (4)