Firefox 3.6 Released, First Web FontFont Is Free
Yesterday, Mozilla launched Firefox 3.6, which — among more frivolous features — supports WOFF (Web Open Font Format), the downloadable webfont format supported by most major font vendors. This is a big step for online typography. With a growing market share, Firefox will bring webfonts to a significant chunk of users, and it seems likely that WebKit (Safari) and Chrome will follow suit.
In step with the Firefox release, FSI FontShop International followed through on their promise to provide FontFonts for the web by offering their first publicly available WOFF font for free. FF Nuvo Medium WOFF Demo is a fully functional webfont, usable via the @font-face CSS property without DRM or domain restrictions. It should give web designers a sense of how easy it is to use WOFF fonts, and a picture of what’s to come when Web FontFonts are officially released.
Here’s what FF Nuvo Medium WOFF Demo looks like:
And here’s FF Nuvo Medium WOFF Demo as HTML text using @font-face. If you’re viewing this page with Firefox 3.6 you’ll see FF Nuvo — selectable, resizable, indexable text that is easy for the page authors to modify. Other browsers will deliver the fallback font, Georgia, instead.
More evidence of Web FontFonts at work can be seen immediately after you download Firefox 3.6. The browser’s welcome page is set almost entirely in a web version of Mozilla’s identity typeface, FF Meta. It’s the perfect demonstration of how downloadable, HTML-friendly fonts will bring comprehensive branding to the web. Setting type in the non-system font once required a static image or Flash-based hacks, but it can now be accomplished by rendering the actual OpenType font. FF Meta Web will be available soon in WOFF format. It’s available now via Typekit.
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- The third FontFont release magazine features samples of brand new and relaunched typefaces, as well as information on web fonts.…Read more
- Live type on the web has always been limited to a handful of system fonts. But that era is over.…Read more
- To celebrate the first anniversary of its webfont collection, FonFont offers the exclusive FF World Wide Web for free.…Read more
- One month after the launch of Firefox 3.6 which – amongst other things – introduced support for the Web Open…Read more
- This free online tool enables users to tailor webfonts to perfectly suit their needs, drastically reducing their file size in…Read more
- ScreenFonts: Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Under The Skin, Hateship Loveship, The Quiet Ones (4)
- ScreenFonts: Thor, Last Night, Bridesmaids, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, Midnight In Paris, Kung Fu Panda 2 (11)