Erik Spiekermann On Fonts* On Deutsche Welle TV
This is a little unfortunate. I saw this video when it appeared in Edenspiekermann’s news section, but didn’t report about it because it was originally posted in German. I hadn’t noticed that a little later that same day a dubbed English version was posted as well. Deutsche Welle TV, Germany’s channel for viewers abroad, filmed an interview with Erik Spiekermann – typographer, information designer, and founder of this incarnation of The FontFeed – for their programme euromaxx.
This interview clearly is an entry-level piece for the layman. The video does a very good job at explaining some basic typographic concepts. While theoretically I don’t approve how the word “font” is used throughout the segment, I agree it is the best solution in this specific case. The general audience is most familiar with this term in relation to (digital) typography. And no, I am not being elitist nor patronising; I just prefer using correct terminology.
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- FontShop and FontFont founder, and mentor of The FontFeed Erik Spiekermann lauded at the German Design Award 2011.…Read more
- On March 22, 2011, the exhibition “Erik Spiekermann. The Face of Type.” opened in the Bauhaus-Archiv Museum of Design in…Read more
- FSI FontShop International and its Berlin-based type foundry FontFont today celebrate the 20th Anniversary of the Fall of the Berlin…Read more
- Last week Erik Spiekermann published a video about his letterpress shop at P98a in Berlin. Even though the audience at…Read more
- Two identical pictures of two maverick type designers, almost 20 years apart – Erik van Blokland and Just van Rossum…Read more
- ScreenFonts: Thor, Last Night, Bridesmaids, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, Midnight In Paris, Kung Fu Panda 2 (11)