Edenspiekermann Wins Two Red Dot Awards
Edenspiekermann‘s works for Hering Berlin and Utrecht City Theatre have been awarded with a red dot award for outstanding design. With more than 11,000 submissions from 61 countries, the international “red dot design award” is the largest and most renowned design competition in the world.
The jury, consisting of 18 international design experts, made a selection from a total of 6,112 works from 42 countries for the red dot award: communication design. A total of 471 works have been distinguished with a red dot award. The award ceremony will take place on 9 December 2009 in the gala hall of the Casino Zollverein in Essen.
Hering Berlin | Porcelain between purism and poetry
Hering Berlin is a porcelain manufacturer. Its purist form together with the highly individual combinable collection sets a new international standard. Edenspiekermann developed a new kind of image concept that shows the porcelain in unusual perspectives. The complex shapes and decorations of Hering porcelain come to life in the image brochure; blind embossing, die cuts, metallic paints and spot varnishes make the porcelain look as lifelike as objects can possibly get in print. There’s also the 700-page product catalogue with the highest standard of clarity and design. FF Meta was used throughout both image brochure and catalogue. The work for Hering Berlin received a Silver European Design Award and an iF Communication Design Award earlier this year.
Utrecht City Theatre
Utrecht City Theatre (Stadsschouwburg Utrecht) is the prominent theatre in the Central Netherlands. Edenspiekermann developed a house style with a characteristic typographical font and logo. It is based on the words “shimmering” and “reflection” that characterize the interaction between visitors and performance. The typography and colour scheme are reminiscent of the era of Dudok, architect of the theatre. The style allows the City Theatre numerous points of connection and inspiration, so that it may further expand in the coming years and grow into a strong, vibrant cultural brand. As previously reported on The FontFeed, the new identity uses a customised Agenda.
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- Edenspiekermann recently developed a custom typeface and logo based on Agenda for the Utrecht City Theatre. In their custom design Edenspiekermann…Read more
- FontShop and FontFont founder, and mentor of The FontFeed Erik Spiekermann lauded at the German Design Award 2011.…Read more
- I was at the Frankfurt Book Fair for one and a half day, where I had more discussions than I…Read more
- A short video about typography by Erik Spiekermann – typographer, information designer, and founder of this incarnation of The FontFeed.…Read more
- Last month, on Saturday, May 26th, the European Design Awards 2012 Ceremony was held in Helsinki in the 80-year old…Read more