Although The FontFeed mostly focuses on digital type, we do have a soft spot for “analogue” techniques like letterpress, calligraphy, hand lettering, and letter carving. The clip below shows Dusty Signs’ Dan Madsen hand-lettering a sign for his business. Dan is a traditional sign painter born and raised in Minneapolis, Minnesota. He’s the 3rd generation in his family carrying on the craft. Dan got his start to painting working with sign painters in Minneapolis and California. Observe the artist at work.
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- The official trailer for “Sign Painters”, a documentary by Faythe Levine & Sam Macon.…Read more
- This morning a message from Jacques Le Bailly, designer of my Favourite Typeface of 2012, led me to a just…Read more
- New Bohemia Signs carries on the tradition of hand-made sign-painting to create new markers for the next generation of city…Read more
- When I attended ATypI 2010 “The Word” in Dublin the conference closed with one of the fabulous lettering walks hosted…Read more
- The documentary “Up There” reveals the dying craft of large-scale hand painted advertising and the untold story of the painters…Read more