Digital Activism Against SOPA and ACTA in Motion Graphics
Activism has come a long way. Thanks to easier and cheaper production methods, pamphlets now have the potential to become well-scripted and professional-looking motion typography pieces. The only limits are the creativity and available time of the people creating them. Often using only type and icons, these moving information graphics manage to visualise rather complex concepts and make them easier to understand. And digital communication channels allow these mini-movies to enjoy viral spread. Here are for example two videos aimed at informing the general audience about the controversial Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) – a United States bill expanding the ability of U.S. law enforcement to fight online trafficking in copyrighted intellectual property and counterfeit goods – and Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA) – a multinational treaty for the purpose of establishing international standards for intellectual property rights enforcement. Especially SOPA could indirectly or even directly affect The FontFeed.
I couldn’t really find any real information on the SOPA video, so all I’ll say is it uses Avenir as the main typeface.
Design-wise I very much prefer the visually more sophisticated and coherent ACTA video. It was animated by Morgan Dupuy during a one-month internship at graphic and motion designer Benoît Musereau’s studio. Musereau directed it working from a script by La Quadrature du Net, the advocacy group defending the rights and freedoms of citizens on the Internet. Designed by Marion Leblanc and voiced by Axel Simon, the video features music by Mawashi. The video makes very good use of the many weights and widths of Giza, David Berlow’s non-bracketed slab serif, with Neue Helvetica as supporting typeface. Stylised rough brush script Reporter No.2 makes a blink-and-you’ll-miss-it cameo appearance in speech balloons.
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- This article has been removed at the request of Intellectual Property Counsel for Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia, Inc.…Read more
- The FontFeed editors & FontShop Communication Team wish you all a Merry Christmas (or whatever other celebration you may have…Read more
- To mark the 60th anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, The Human Rights Action Center commissioned graphic and…Read more
- This advertisement aimed at non-designers shows how expressive fonts can be and how many different ways there are to visualise…Read more
- Deadline is a superb looking stop motion video with Post-It Notes by Savannah College of Art and Design student Bang-yao…Read more
- ScreenFonts: Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Under The Skin, Hateship Loveship, The Quiet Ones (4)
- ScreenFonts: Thor, Last Night, Bridesmaids, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, Midnight In Paris, Kung Fu Panda 2 (11)