Celebrate Día de los Muertos With The Skullphabet Free Fonts
I’m taking a little break from compiling my Halloween list of scary fonts. I’m a bit bummed I couldn’t finish that entry in time but it just became more extensive than I had expected. Also I played a gig in Atelier 210 yesterday and had to leave for the soundcheck in the early afternoon. The reason I’m posting this mini-entry in between is because I definitely wanted to be in time for the Day of The Dead (Día de los Muertos) which is celebrated today and tomorrow.
The FontFeed was sent a very nice e-mail from Heidi Hess, pointing us to Skull-A-Day, the blog of a friend of hers. On June 4th, 2007, Noah Scalin – creative director and owner of Another Limited Rebellion – made an orange paper skull, posted it online and announced to the world that he would be making a skull a day for an entire year. This may sound like no big deal, but Noah ended up spending anywhere from 2 to 10 hours every single day for that year, thinking about, researching, making, and photographing the skulls. And indeed, he presented his 365th skull on June 2nd, 2008, and even posted a bonus skull the day after since it was a leap year. Now in its second incarnation Skull-A-Day 2.0 showcases daily submissions from its readers.
And now for the good part. 94th entry, September 5th, 2007, was Skullphabet #1, and 244th entry, February 2, 2008, was Skullphabet #2. Both display capital alphabets are based on the classic Futura (Bold). Skull-A-Day reader Mark Conahan converted the original vector art into functioning digital typefaces. You can download the free fonts in TrueType or OpenType format here: Skullphabet #1 and Skullphabet #2.
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- To celebrate the new issue 71 of the printed Eye magazine, Eye is having its first-ever Type Week on the…Read more
- A short video about typography by Erik Spiekermann – typographer, information designer, and founder of this incarnation of The FontFeed.…Read more
- I have submitted my Trajan in Movie Posters presentation to the SXSW PanelPicker for both SXSW Interactive and SXSW Film.…Read more
- Letter.2 is the second international competition of type design organised by the Association Typographique Internationale (ATypI).…Read more
- The Web Font Awards recognises the designers and websites that are putting the emerging technology of web fonts to greatest…Read more
- ScreenFonts: Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Under The Skin, Hateship Loveship, The Quiet Ones (9)