Design Mind Magazine Features Erik Spiekermann
Hot off the presses is Frog Design’s new magazine, Design Mind. Our founder, Erik Spiekermann, is featured in a two page spread in their eighth issue, Numbers. The article focuses on Spiekermann’s personal relationship with typography and designing figures.
“They [letters] are my friends… Some people look at bottles of wine, or whatever – girls’ bottoms – I get kicks out of looking at type.”
“Anybody can design letters, but numbers are hard. Tech was an interesting challenge that I gave myself: to create a typeface that has no diagonals. When you design numbers, you have to do ABC at least. It’s interesting because I realized that what worked for the house numbers obviously doesn’t work for letters. This was going backwards. But numbers and letters are very different; they have different space, different shapes; they come from different places. Figures are actually my favorite part of type design.”
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- I just returned from Berlin where we met with all the regional FontShops and the founder himself, Erik Spiekermann. The…Read more
- With the invention of “desktop publishing”, designers found themselves setting type on their computers for the first time. Until then,…Read more
- Spiekermann embraced the fledgling world of digital type early on when he founded FontShop 20 years ago, and he’s just…Read more
- Just in time for the re-launch of its website, FontShop Germany releases Axel, an economical, highly legible font family optimized…Read more
- Last week Erik Spiekermann published a video about his letterpress shop at P98a in Berlin. Even though the audience at…Read more
- ScreenFonts: Thor, Last Night, Bridesmaids, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, Midnight In Paris, Kung Fu Panda 2 (11)