Creative Review Typography Annual
Excellent news for procrastinators. Due to several requests and many of you creative types (excuse the pun) not having had time to get round to organising your submissions for their first Type Annual, Creative Review have decided to be accommodating and extend the deadline. You now have until Friday November 5 to submit your entries. This means you have one extra week to send in your work, so this is really your last chance. And in order to convince the stragglers there even is a special promotion for readers of The FontFeed!
The Type Annual is the first in its kind for Creative Review, the leading British magazine for visual communication that celebrates its 30th anniversary this year. It will showcase typeface design itself rather than work that uses type. With this publication CR hopes to create a showcase of the best crafted, most innovative and most exciting typefaces produced during the past year. To be eligible for inclusion, typefaces must have been first released or used within the entry period – October 2009 to October 2010. Furthermore selected work will be printed in a special February issue of Creative Review.
The typefaces will be presented in four categories: Display, Text, Bespoke, and Non-Latin. A panel of judges will be asked to select work in each category. There are no winners or runners-up, and no limit to the number of typefaces to be selected. In addition, the judges will select those of outstanding merit to feature in the Best in Book section.
Judging this year’s CR Type Annual are Mark Porter, Coralie Bickford-Smith, Andy Dymock, Fiona Ross and John Bateson.
- Mark Porter | Mark Porter Associates
Formerly creative director of The Guardian, where he oversaw the newspaper’s 2005 redesign, Mark Porter now runs his own editorial design studio. He has previously worked as art director for Wired and Colors and has redesigned major newspapers including Público and NZZ am Sonntag.
- Coralie Bickford-Smith
Coralie Bickford-Smith is a senior cover designer at Penguin Books, where she has created several series designs. She studied typography at Reading University.
- Andy Dymock
Andy Dymock is one of the most respected typographers in advertising. He is currently working with Coy Communications as well as on freelance projects.
- Fiona Ross
Fiona Ross is a typographic consultant, typeface designer, lecturer and author, specializing in non-Latin scripts. Previously she had responsibility for the design and development of Linotype’s non-Latin typefaces and typesetting schemes. She has collaborated on award-winning Arabic and Indian typeface designs for Adobe and Dalton Maag, and is engaged on a new type design for a major Bengali newspaper. Fiona is also a lecturer at the University of Reading.
- John Bateson | Bateson Studio
John runs the consultancy Bateson Studio and is acting Course Director at the UAL MA Graphic Branding and Identity course. He has been a judge and member of D&AD, is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts, a Fellow of the ISTD, has served as a Director of the Design Business Association, and is the UK liaison officer for the TDC organization. John is currently Chairman of the Typographic Circle Association and was the winner of The Design Challenge at the 2nd International Conference for Universal Design in Kyoto.
Special promotion for readers of The FontFeed
Single entries in one of the four categories cost £50; 2–3 entries cost £100. For more than 3 entries, please contact Sarah Davies.
If you e-mail Sarah Davies mentioning that you saw the Type Annual promoted through the FontFeed – use this e-mail link – you are entitled to a £5 discount on single entries, or £15 on 2–3 entries.
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- For the fourth consecutive year Communication Arts – “the premier source of inspiration for graphic designers, art directors, design firms,…Read more
- The second Typography Annual gives an overview of the winners of Communication Arts’ annual typography and type design competition.…Read more
- To celebrate the new issue 71 of the printed Eye magazine, Eye is having its first-ever Type Week on the…Read more
- For the cover of its April edition British trade magazine Creative Review had Grandmother India Design letter an original Indian…Read more
- Ampersand is an affordable one-day event for knowledgeable web designers & type enthusiasts, held in Brighton, UK, on June 17,…Read more
- ScreenFonts: Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Under The Skin, Hateship Loveship, The Quiet Ones (4)
- ScreenFonts: Thor, Last Night, Bridesmaids, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, Midnight In Paris, Kung Fu Panda 2 (11)