Communication Arts Typography Annual 2
For the second consecutive year Communication Arts – “the premier source of inspiration for graphic designers, art directors, design firms, corporate design departments, advertising agencies, interactive designers, illustrators and photographers—everyone involved in visual communication” – held its annual typography and type design competition. The 2012 Typography Annual showcases the 150 winning projects selected by a distinguished panel of jurors – Richard Kegler, founder and lead designer at P22 type foundry; Erik Spiekermann, information architect, type designer and author of books and articles on type and typography; and Tiffany Wardle de Sousa a.k.a. “Typegirl”, a typographer and graphic designer.
1,723 entries were submitted for this second Typography Annual, less than the inaugural competition, but probably a more accurate reflection of the quantity of work produced in a single year. Again, the organisers were pleased with the international nature of the submissions, especially in the typeface category, and the inclusion of several non-Latin typefaces.
Juror Tiffany Wardle de Sousa:
In general, I really enjoyed most of the work. For me it was important to consider each project separately because viewed as a whole I sensed a sameness.
That sameness might best be explained by identifying the most common visual trends.
Juror Erik Spiekermann concurs:
The lock-up look was a prevailing theme. Pages were full, and if it wasn’t the page, then a shape was filled with type. From clouds to trees, everything served as a lock-up for letters.
Juror Richard Kegler added:
The ‘handmade’ and retro pastiche have really become a major trend. The lack of actual type vs. hand lettering was surprising.
In closing, Wardle de Sousa offered this:
Typography is typography, no matter the media. Hopefully the technology innovators will always keep the rules of typography in mind as they create.
The state of typography has always been a good indicator of the general state of affairs. The trends were all pointing back in time, pastiche being the operative word, nostalgia the main trend.
The winning entries are spread over different categories, one of them being type design. The following typefaces were selected to be included in the Annual:
- Steinweiss Script | Michael Doret, Alphabet Soup Type Founders
- Socialism | FontBit
- Be Serif | FontBit
- FF More | Łukasz Dziedzic, FontFont
- FF Sero | Jörg Hemker, FontFont
- FF Spinoza | Max Phillips, FontFont
- Aria Pro | Rui Abreu, Fountain Type
- Smidgen | Ken Barber, House Industries
- Barun Jiwon Book | Jiwon Lee
- DIN Next Arabic | Nadine Chahine, Linotype
- Neue Haas Grotesk | Christian Schwartz, Linotype
- Palatino Sans Arabic | Nadine Chahine, Linotype
- Hiatus | Stephen Rapp
- Poem Script | Alejandro Paul, Sudtipos
- Semilla | Alejandro Paul, Sudtipos
- Chartwell | TK Type
- Regal Finesse | Panos Vassiliou
- Samantha Script | Laura Worthington
- Alana | Laura Worthington
A sampling of the winners – some random entries, one per category:
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- For the fourth consecutive year Communication Arts – “the premier source of inspiration for graphic designers, art directors, design firms,…Read more
- Creative Review extends the deadline for submissions to their first Typography Annual until Friday, November 5th, 2010.…Read more
- A vintage short documentary produced by Encyclopædia Britannica Films Inc. in 1947 explains the process from copy setting to binding.…Read more
- FSI FontShop International and its Berlin-based type foundry FontFont today celebrate the 20th Anniversary of the Fall of the Berlin…Read more
- British type designer Paul Barnes designed Crepello and Olembe, two custom typefaces for Puma for the World Cup 2010.…Read more
- ScreenFonts: Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Under The Skin, Hateship Loveship, The Quiet Ones (4)
- ScreenFonts: Thor, Last Night, Bridesmaids, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, Midnight In Paris, Kung Fu Panda 2 (11)