Fonts in Use
My Type of Music
Sometimes you can judge a book by its cover and a band by its album art.
A typographic look at today’s movie posters and film titles. (a.k.a. Characters on The Silver Screen)
Typography is made with type, but some of the best letters are made one at a time, by hand.
A light-hearted repository of amusing typos and typographic mishaps.
A tweet by type designer Nadine Chahine made me discover a superb typographic promo by BBC for its Wimbledon 2012 coverage. The 40-second launch trailer created by Red Bee Media shows some of the top male and female tennis players performing their signature shots. Their bodies suddenly are rendered in words describing their characteristics, playing [...]Read more
Our monthly review of movie poster typography.Read more
Ampersand wasn’t the only type conference this past weekend. From June 15 to 18 a sizable part of the type world was in Istanbul, Turkey for the second ISType (Istanbul Type Seminars). This lecture and workshop series conceived by typographers / designers / educators Onur Yazıcıgil (Sabancı University) and Alessandro Segalini (Izmir University of Economics) is devoted to encouraging [...]Read more
With Ampersand less than a week away, it’ll be no time before we begin to see type looking a little better on the web. Designers making smarter use of webfonts gets us a long way, but a persistent hurdle to harnessing web typography’s potential has been browser support. Back in April, one development we cheered [...]Read more
I Could Have Done This… documents Briar Mark’s creation of a hand-stitched poster.Read more
Specimens are nice, but we love to catch a typeface in the wild, where it can truly show how it performs in the real world.
- The music video for “Nein Mann” by German electro house project Laserkraft 3D features hand lettering and dingbats that visualise…Read more
- A world class pro yoyo champion at work at TypeCon2009 – Rhythm, and two more reports about the conference.…Read more
- Eva-Lotta Lamm a.k.a. evalottchen made personable and very entertaining sketchnotes on some of the key presentations at TYPO Berlin 2011…Read more
- The first images of TypeCon2009 “Rhythm” are starting to trickle in on the TypeCon Pool on Flickr.…Read more
- By historical standards, the FontFont library is a young library. Most of the designers behind it were still at school…Read more
- ScreenFonts: Stoker, Dead Man Down, The Incredible Burt Wonderstone, Tyler Perry’s Temptation, Wrong (4)