Fonts in Use
My Type of Music
Sometimes you can judge a book by its cover and a band by its album art.
A typographic look at today’s movie posters and film titles. (a.k.a. Characters on The Silver Screen)
Typography is made with type, but some of the best letters are made one at a time, by hand.
A light-hearted repository of amusing typos and typographic mishaps.
Don’t ask me how I came across this video this weekend – I guess it must have been Twitter – but Wicked Problems in Type Design is an interesting document of a 2012 presentation at Cooper-Hewitt. In conjunction with its exhibition Graphic Design: Now In Production on exhibit in New York City that summer, the Cooper-Hewitt National [...]Read more
’Twas the eve before FIFA World Cup, when all through the world, people were professing their love for the noble sport that is football (not soccer, my dear American friends, the players actually strike the ball with their foot, hence the name football). Let’s not dwell on the horrid, horrid official typeface Pagode Bold – [...]Read more
Our monthly review of movie poster typography.Read more
Last week Erik Spiekermann published a video about his letterpress shop at P98a in Berlin. Even though the audience at large mainly knows him as a successful and acclaimed “digital” designer (290K followers on Twitter, anyone?), creator of some very popular digital typefaces, letterpress has been a constant factor in his career. During his studies [...]Read more
As you read in my report of the first day at TYPO Berlin 2014 “Roots”, the final presentation was by Yanone about his smallest superfamily ever and its companion film. Today the designer and multimedia artist officially launched the 10-minute dance film about The Big Bang for his typeface “Antithesis”.Read more
An overview of covers of recently released albums.Read more
When I attended ATypI 2010 “The Word” in Dublin the conference closed with one of the fabulous lettering walks hosted by Phil Baines and Catherine Dixon. It was abundantly clear to the participants that the Irish capital has a rich history of hand painted signs decorating the city. The documentary short Gentlemen of Letters – [...]Read more
Specimens are nice, but we love to catch a typeface in the wild, where it can truly show how it performs in the real world.
- Just after the weekend, on Monday September 24, FontShop is proud to sponsor An Evening with Jesse Ragan, Typeface Designer,…Read more
- Registration for the free one-day typography symposium 33pt. Voices on Typography has opened.…Read more
- Sneak preview of FiFFteen in San Francisco FiFFteen in San Francisco, June 11 – 27 FiFFteen, the exhibition celebrating 15 years of FontFonts ®, makes…Read more
- One day before the official opening of ATypI 2010 Dublin: The Word, Verena Gerlach’s show Paradox Alg(i)er(s) opened at The…Read more
- Just like the bands headlining music festivals, keynote speeches define the flavour of a conference.…Read more
- Screenfonts: Push, Coraline, The International, Gomorrah, Madea Goes To Jail, Echelon Conspiracy (19)