Fonts in Use
My Type of Music
Sometimes you can judge a book by its cover and a band by its album art.
A typographic look at today’s movie posters and film titles. (a.k.a. Characters on The Silver Screen)
Typography is made with type, but some of the best letters are made one at a time, by hand.
A light-hearted repository of amusing typos and typographic mishaps.
Last week PBS posted a new episode of Off Book on its YouTube channel. The short documentary Off Book: The Art of Logo Design/a> produced by Kornhaber Brown examines how great logos are created. Off Book is a web-only series from PBS Arts that expands the definition of art. Each episode explores a cutting-edge genre [...]Read more
Looking up information for last week’s post about the European Design Awards 2012 I stumbled upon this simply lovely promotional video for TypeTogether. Four Hand Typography shows the type designer duo of Veronika Burian and José Scaglione collaborating on type design projects, interacting with co-workers, exhibiting their work, and lecturing and holding workshops all over [...]Read more
A tweet by type designer Nadine Chahine made me discover a superb typographic promo by BBC for its Wimbledon 2012 coverage. The 40-second launch trailer created by Red Bee Media shows some of the top male and female tennis players performing their signature shots. Their bodies suddenly are rendered in words describing their characteristics, playing [...]Read more
Our monthly review of movie poster typography.Read more
Ampersand wasn’t the only type conference this past weekend. From June 15 to 18 a sizable part of the type world was in Istanbul, Turkey for the second ISType (Istanbul Type Seminars). This lecture and workshop series conceived by typographers / designers / educators Onur Yazıcıgil (Sabancı University) and Alessandro Segalini (Izmir University of Economics) is devoted to encouraging [...]Read more
With Ampersand less than a week away, it’ll be no time before we begin to see type looking a little better on the web. Designers making smarter use of webfonts gets us a long way, but a persistent hurdle to harnessing web typography’s potential has been browser support. Back in April, one development we cheered [...]Read more
I Could Have Done This… documents Briar Mark’s creation of a hand-stitched poster.Read more
Specimens are nice, but we love to catch a typeface in the wild, where it can truly show how it performs in the real world.
- The documentary features type designers Hoefler & Frere-Jones, Pentagram’s Paula Scher and Eddie Opara, and infographic designers Julia Vakser and…Read more
- Ben Barrett-Forrest breezes through the history of typography in a little over five minutes.…Read more
- Jon Phillips of Spyrestudios gathered 34 excellent logos using punctuation marks in an online gallery.…Read more
- Jonathan Hoefler and Steven Heller explain on The Leonard Lopate Show how typefaces are created and why typography is important…Read more
- The Flickr group LTypI: Lack of Typographic Imagination collects pictures of logos where the name – or parts of the…Read more
- ScreenFonts: Thor, Last Night, Bridesmaids, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, Midnight In Paris, Kung Fu Panda 2 (11)