Fonts in Use
My Type of Music
Sometimes you can judge a book by its cover and a band by its album art.
A typographic look at today’s movie posters and film titles. (a.k.a. Characters on The Silver Screen)
Typography is made with type, but some of the best letters are made one at a time, by hand.
A light-hearted repository of amusing typos and typographic mishaps.
I would like to point you to a lovely project on Kickstarter which needs its last tiny push to get funded in a little over 24 hours. The Vista Sans Wood Type Project is a collaborative project involving 21 innovative letterpress artists, designers and studios from all over the world. It was initiated by Tricia [...]Read more
One year after their FontFont 2011 – (Not Quite An) Annual Report, FontFont – one of the leading independent font foundries with the largest library of original, contemporary typefaces – did it again with the recently published 2012 edition. This time the report has taken the form of an interactive publication on their website. The FontFeed talked [...]Read more
In his recent post on Wide Screen, the Yahoo movies blog, Will Perkins wonders where the Oscars for Best Title Sequence were at the recent ceremony. Indeed, although this area of filmmaking is already recognised at the Emmies with the Emmy Award For Outstanding Main Title Design, it still is overlooked at most other award [...]Read more
This morning a message from Jacques Le Bailly, designer of my Favourite Typeface of 2012, led me to a just released video by British DP, director and film maker Danny Cooke. The short film documents the creation of the cover artwork for John Mayer’s album Born and Raised and single Queen of California, as well [...]Read more
Our monthly review of movie poster typography.Read more
An overview of the nominees and winners of the 55th Grammy Awards in the fields Package and Music Video.Read more
Specimens are nice, but we love to catch a typeface in the wild, where it can truly show how it performs in the real world.
- One of the main typography conferences, TypeCon, presented by SOTA (The Society of Typographic Aficionados) is coming up fast. Unlike…Read more
- The last weekend of May the Hamilton Wood Type & Museum in Two Rivers, Wisconsin hosts a weekend-long celebration of…Read more
- Last week Erik Spiekermann published a video about his letterpress shop at P98a in Berlin. Even though the audience at…Read more
- Some of you digital age kids ;) may not recognize what the images in our introductory post are, so maybe…Read more
- A vintage short documentary produced by Encyclopædia Britannica Films Inc. in 1947 explains the process from copy setting to binding.…Read more