Fonts in Use » Lovely Lettering
My Type of Music
Sometimes you can judge a book by its cover and a band by its album art.
A typographic look at today’s movie posters and film titles. (a.k.a. Characters on The Silver Screen)
Typography is made with type, but some of the best letters are made one at a time, by hand.
A light-hearted repository of amusing typos and typographic mishaps.
I just discovered yet another marvelous documentary short about sign painting, this time from the UK. 21st Century Victorian is a remarkable, passionate and personal story of the art of Fairground Sign Writing, a unique art form that has been dying out. However it has found fresh enthusiasm and interest with new generations, enthralled by [...]Read more
Whether you need to rinse your eyes and brain from too many shiny beveled logos with gradients, or you are looking for inspiration for your next hipster logo design, Type Hunting is a real treat. This Tumblr collects images of old artifacts with letters on them, mostly old logos and brand marks. The name however [...]Read more
Designer and illustrator Timba Smits created a dozen typographic illustrations for the article “Rory Sutherland knows how to save marketing” in Wired.Read more
Celebrate the second anniversary of the Mota Italic Gallery at the per-TYPO Berlin Party and Word Jazz opening night.Read more
Conceptual alphabets are not easy to get right. Throw in erotic subject matter, and you have yourself a recipe for disaster. Striking the right balance when creating outright explicit illustrated letters so it does not become awkward or vulgar is incredibly hard. And yet Malika Favre managed to do exactly that with her astounding Kama [...]Read more
The official trailer for “Sign Painters”, a documentary by Faythe Levine & Sam Macon.Read more
This morning a message from Jacques Le Bailly, designer of my Favourite Typeface of 2012, led me to a just released video by British DP, director and film maker Danny Cooke. The short film documents the creation of the cover artwork for John Mayer’s album Born and Raised and single Queen of California, as well [...]Read more
It always seems magical when a piece of graphic design transcends the flat plane and enters the third dimension. The resulting object lends an additional legitimacy to the original piece, rejuvenating it and altering our perception of it. Take for example Jessica Hische’s gorgeous hand-lettered packaging for Beck’s Song Reader. Released on December 11, 2012, [...]Read more
- A video showing Dusty Signs’ Dan Madsen hand-lettering a sign for his business. Observe the artist at work.…Read more
- This morning a message from Jacques Le Bailly, designer of my Favourite Typeface of 2012, led me to a just…Read more
- New Bohemia Signs carries on the tradition of hand-made sign-painting to create new markers for the next generation of city…Read more
- The official trailer for “Sign Painters”, a documentary by Faythe Levine & Sam Macon.…Read more
- Erik Spiekermann talks with Elliot Jay Stocks about how typography is used in the digital domain and what digital designers…Read more
- ScreenFonts: Inside Llewyn Davis, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, Saving Mr. Banks, The Wolf of Wall Street (12)