Fonts in Use » Lovely Lettering
My Type of Music
Sometimes you can judge a book by its cover and a band by its album art.
A typographic look at today’s movie posters and film titles. (a.k.a. Characters on The Silver Screen)
Typography is made with type, but some of the best letters are made one at a time, by hand.
A light-hearted repository of amusing typos and typographic mishaps.
Whether you need to rinse your eyes and brain from too many shiny beveled logos with gradients, or you are looking for inspiration for your next hipster logo design, Type Hunting is a real treat. This Tumblr collects images of old artifacts with letters on them, mostly old logos and brand marks. The name however [...]Read more
Designer and illustrator Timba Smits created a dozen typographic illustrations for the article “Rory Sutherland knows how to save marketing” in Wired.Read more
Celebrate the second anniversary of the Mota Italic Gallery at the per-TYPO Berlin Party and Word Jazz opening night.Read more
Conceptual alphabets are not easy to get right. Throw in erotic subject matter, and you have yourself a recipe for disaster. Striking the right balance when creating outright explicit illustrated letters so it does not become awkward or vulgar is incredibly hard. And yet Malika Favre managed to do exactly that with her astounding Kama [...]Read more
The official trailer for “Sign Painters”, a documentary by Faythe Levine & Sam Macon.Read more
This morning a message from Jacques Le Bailly, designer of my Favourite Typeface of 2012, led me to a just released video by British DP, director and film maker Danny Cooke. The short film documents the creation of the cover artwork for John Mayer’s album Born and Raised and single Queen of California, as well [...]Read more
It always seems magical when a piece of graphic design transcends the flat plane and enters the third dimension. The resulting object lends an additional legitimacy to the original piece, rejuvenating it and altering our perception of it. Take for example Jessica Hische’s gorgeous hand-lettered packaging for Beck’s Song Reader. Released on December 11, 2012, [...]Read more
- Designer and illustrator Timba Smits created a dozen typographic illustrations for the article “Rory Sutherland knows how to save marketing”…Read more
- For its Vintage Varsity line which is part of the Fall Collection Target found its inspiration in vintage wood type.…Read more
- It may seem a bit ironic to post this now that all our American readers are still digesting the copious…Read more
- I needed extra visual material for “From Metal Scripts to Digital Writing”, my presentation at TYPO Berlin 2012 “Sustain”.…Read more
- We end our three-part newsletter series on packaging design with a look at the scripts so commonly seen at the…Read more