Fonts in Use » Lovely Lettering
My Type of Music
Sometimes you can judge a book by its cover and a band by its album art.
A typographic look at today’s movie posters and film titles. (a.k.a. Characters on The Silver Screen)
Typography is made with type, but some of the best letters are made one at a time, by hand.
A light-hearted repository of amusing typos and typographic mishaps.
Argentinian letterer and designer (and friend of The FontFeed) Martina Flor launched an online greeting card service called Letter Collections. Each postcard is lettered, handwritten and sent by Martina Flor. In order to promote this new project Martina will send 100 printed postcards – indeed, a physical card sent by physical mail – to people she likes, [...]Read more
One of the winners at the recent European Design Awards was Gewone Letters – Gerrit’s Early Models which won Bronze in the category Self-Initiated Projects. The lovely limited edition publication by Geen Bitter uses the equally lovely FF Dora, designed by Slávka Pauliková and released through FontFont last year.Read more
When I attended ATypI 2010 “The Word” in Dublin the conference closed with one of the fabulous lettering walks hosted by Phil Baines and Catherine Dixon. It was abundantly clear to the participants that the Irish capital has a rich history of hand painted signs decorating the city. The documentary short Gentlemen of Letters – [...]Read more
Amongst the first names to be confirmed for TYPO Berlin 2014 “Roots” were Ilona Karwinska and David S. Hill. They are the directors and founders of the Polish Neon Muzeum in Warsaw, which is dedicated to the documentation and preservation of Poland’s cold war era neon signs. Contrary to our preconceived notions about former East [...]Read more
Two days ago Type Worship launched their first typographic print. It was created by Jamie Clarke, who works with Elliot Jay Stocks on 8 Faces. The illuminated letterpress print is an historical and present–day snapshot of Exmouth Market in Clerkenwell, a vibrant little street around the corner from Clarke’s home in Central London. It captures the [...]Read more
It may seem a bit ironic to post this now that all our American readers are still digesting the copious amounts of food from last night (or constructing epic sandwiches with the leftovers) – happy Thanksgiving by the way. Here’s a nice video short documenting the lettering on a food truck owned by Tim Van [...]Read more
The holiday season is merely a month away, so here’s another gift suggestion; this time not for reading but for hanging on your walls. Posterama is a small group focused on turning inspirational quotes into typographic art. Singapore-based cross-platform advertising creative and E-ntrepreneur Ranadip De, content curator for the collection, explained it started primarily because [...]Read more
Posting the process video for Kevin Tong’s gorgeous illustrated poster for Gravity in this month’s ScreenFonts reminded me of a similar, equally fascinating clip. It documents the making of the 12-inch sleeve for Max Goldt’s record L’Eglise des Crocodiles by graphic designer/calligrapher Frank Ortmann in 2011.Read more
- It’s a most unlikely combination to produce actually funny content and yet it works. Today French type designer Jean-Baptiste Levée…Read more
- Martin Majoor has collected some of his old lectures (in English, German and Dutch) and put them up on his…Read more
- This new award recognises young people who have created original work in type design, type history, or other areas related…Read more
- The new and improved ƒCards App for iPhone/iPod/iPad is available at no cost for exactly one week, plus one lucky…Read more
- Lettering vs Calligraphy is the repository of a visual dialogue between letterer Martina Flor and calligrapher Guiseppe Salerno.…Read more
- ScreenFonts: Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Under The Skin, Hateship Loveship, The Quiet Ones (4)
- ScreenFonts: Thor, Last Night, Bridesmaids, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, Midnight In Paris, Kung Fu Panda 2 (11)