In Use: Benton Sans for Pangea Day
On May 10, 2008 — Pangea Day — sites in Cairom, Dharamsala, Jerusalem, Kigali, London, New York City, Ramallah, and Rio de Janeiro will be videoconferenced live to produce a 4-hour program of powerful films, visionary speakers, and uplifting music.
Avenue A | Razorfish designed the website for this groundbreaking project using a simple black and teal color scheme and soft shadows and glows to create a cinematic stage for the videos and information. The type is set almost entirely in Benton Sans Condensed Black, a strong, contemporary font that is powerful when set big and tight and surprisingly legible at small sizes on screen.
Benton Sans is Tobias Frere-Jones’ and Cyrus Highsmith’s update of an old American workhorse, News Gothic. Many of News Gothic’s quirks have been regularized and Benton is livelier in the heavy weights, but the original’s sturdy, no-nonsense tone remains. And, as is the Font Bureau way, the family was expanded into a versatile 26-piece set.
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- The American Association of University Presses honors the best book design in their annual Book, Jacket & Journal Show. We…Read more
- Safe standbys like Trade and News Gothic , Frutiger , Avenir , Interstate ,…Read more
- FF Meta Light with PMN Caecilia in Real Simple magazine. Just as there is often a need for extra heavy type,…Read more
- The GOOD Transparencies Archive on Flickr is a repository of Transparencies that have run in past issues of GOOD and…Read more
- This August 1–5 we’ll be in Seattle for TypeCon, the only North American conference dedicated to typography, where FontShop is…Read more
- ScreenFonts: Thor, Last Night, Bridesmaids, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, Midnight In Paris, Kung Fu Panda 2 (11)