Animated Barcode For Food Bank Belgium Campaign
At the beginning of December we’ve had an uncharacteristically cold period with snow here in Belgium. This is a very rare occurrence this early in the winter. It brought the plight of the homeless and the sans papiers – refugees and immigrants waiting for their official papers – forced to sleep out on the streets in appalling conditions, to the attention of the media. These events reminded me of last year’s clever, sensitive, and beautiful TV-spot for The Week of Food Banks.
The “Donate a Barcode” ad campaign aimed to feed the hungry. It used images of barcodes as food to get the message out that local food banks need support by way of food donations. During the week of October 15 to 21, 2009, the Belgian Federation of Food Banks distributed folders with barcodes of food-bank-requested foods at local supermarkets. Anyone could get a copy of the “Donate a Barcode” ad campaign list. Once a barcode was purchased, the item that the barcode represented was donated to a nearby food bank to help feed the hungry.
The anti-hunger project “Food Banks” is based on the general principle of gathering place, local aid, bringing the benefit of donors, allowing closeness between the giver and receiver. Today there are 282 Food Banks operating in Europe, which in 2008 distributed 294,500 tons of food to 4.5 million people through 27,000 associations.
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- Deadline is a superb looking stop motion video with Post-It Notes by Savannah College of Art and Design student Bang-yao…Read more
- This first in a series of articles on free fonts defines some basics.…Read more
- Big Bang Big Boom is an unscientific point of view on the beginning and evolution of life … and how it…Read more
- A gallery of cringe-worthy typo or typographic blunders shot by the Unzipped readers.…Read more
- The Society of Typographic Aficionados (SOTA) announces Font Aid IV, uniting the typographic and design communities in raising funds to…Read more
- ScreenFonts: Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Under The Skin, Hateship Loveship, The Quiet Ones (9)