An Exhibition of Hand Lettered Posters by John Downer
Reserve announces an exhibition of hand lettered posters by world renowned letterer and type designer, John Downer. The exhibition will open with a reception next Thursday, August 13 from 8 to 11 pm at Reserve. John has been working with Freshjive on various T-shirt designs, and the event coincides with the release of four more graphic T-shirts and an in depth article on the Freshjive website. During the evening refreshments and music will be provided, and John Downer will also be hand lettering anyone’s requested name tag while you watch!
John Downer is a sign painter by trade with a speciality in gold leaf lettering. He’s also an accomplished swimmer and water polo player. He has both an M.A. and an M.F.A. in painting from The University of Iowa. His interest in letter forms began at a young age. In 1983 he began a career as a freelance type designer. He has since designed faces for renowned type publishers such as the Font Bureau, Bitstream, Emigre, and House Industries. John possesses both an acute sense and an eye for the crafts of lettering and type design. He also writes about type and type history for Emigre magazine, House magazine, and other publications. He lives in Iowa City, and travels widely in the United States and Europe, always on the lookout for interesting letter forms.
Reserve opened in 2006. While serving as a flagship store for The Freshjive Manufacturing Company and it’s various labels (including Freshjive, Warriors of Radness, and RMK), Reserve also specializes in unique vintage books and magazines related to photography, graphic design and all things related to pop culture. Exhibitions are held at various times throughout the year.
Freshjive, Reserve, and AIGA/LA present
An Exhibition of Hand Lettered Posters by JOHN DOWNER
Opening Reception Thursday, August 13 from 8 to 11 pm
At RESERVE, 420 N. Fairfax Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90036
(directly across from Canter’s Delicatessen)
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- Punchcut presents The Typophile Film Fest 4, San Francisco in association with FontShop The Typophile Film Festival 4 is best described as a…Read more
- On 23 December, Dutch designer Boudewijn Ietswaart died at his home in Amsterdam.…Read more
- The first images of TypeCon2009 “Rhythm” are starting to trickle in on the TypeCon Pool on Flickr.…Read more
- Ken Barber talks about the necessity of specialization and the fine lines between lettering, typography, and type design.…Read more
- See how Timothy Donaldson creates a new piece of calligraphy at Bilston Craft Gallery in this video.…Read more
- ScreenFonts: Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Under The Skin, Hateship Loveship, The Quiet Ones (4)
- ScreenFonts: Thor, Last Night, Bridesmaids, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, Midnight In Paris, Kung Fu Panda 2 (11)