An Evening with Jesse Ragan, Typeface Designer
Just after the weekend, on Monday September 24, FontShop is proud to sponsor An Evening with Jesse Ragan, Typeface Designer, programmed by AIGA SF. At this evening the renowned typeface designer will reveal the fundamental principles of his process. Although 90% of his work is designing type and lettering, Jesse also teaches one class a week at Type@Cooper, the postgraduate certificate program he co-founded in 2010. Examples from his work will include custom typefaces and lettering for The New York Public Library, The Museum for African Art, and St. Bartholomew’s Church. To give you a taste of what to expect watch the video of Jesse Ragan’s pecha-kucha-style talk this summer at the Cooper-Hewitt museum, which was part of the “Wicked Problems in Type Design” program.
At this event moderated Ellen Lupton and Cara Di Edwardo, six leading and emerging voices in the field of type design talked about problems central to their work. The speakers were Philippe Apeloig, William Berkson, Hubert Jocham, Henrik Kubel, Jeremy Mickel, and of course Jesse Ragan. Each of them addressed a burning question concerning the design, use, culture, technology, or business of fonts and typefaces.
More information on An Evening with Jesse Ragan, Typeface Designer on the AIGA SF website.
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- Don’t ask me how I came across this video this weekend – I guess it must have been Twitter – but Wicked…Read more
- Hosted by AIGA Atlanta, SEED is the premiere design competition in the Southeast, recognising the top creative work in the…Read more
- From July 5 till 10, TypeCon2011 – the annual conference presented by the non-profit Society of Typographic Aficionados (SOTA) –…Read more
- After battling a very aggressive cancer for over a year, yesterday evening my father chose to not let his illness…Read more
- One day before the official opening of ATypI 2010 Dublin: The Word, Verena Gerlach’s show Paradox Alg(i)er(s) opened at The…Read more
- Screenfonts: Push, Coraline, The International, Gomorrah, Madea Goes To Jail, Echelon Conspiracy (19)