Abduzeedo Collect Type Faces — Literally
Abduzeedo – the blog by Fabio Sasso, a Brazilian designer living in Porto Alegre (south of Brazil) – has posted 45 Amazing Type Faces, a gallery of typographic portraits. It showcases designs by both professional illustrators and amateur enthusiasts. Unlike hand lettered artwork, these are all drawn with actual type, by scaling, rotating, and overlapping the characters, and arranging them in such a way that a face appears.
Amongst my favourites are the Steve Jobs portrait, and the campaign for the 51st Annual Grammy Awards designed by Steve Yee, art director for Chiat/Day in Los Angeles (see also the animated version of the campaign below). Gui Borchert’s entirely typographical portrait of Obama using over twenty thousand of his words is featured as well. The black-and-white portraits of Dave Grohl, Jay-Z, and the one below that remind me of the fantastic typographic animations on ni9e, the website of Evan Roth, aka fi5e.
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- The American presidential elections have inspired high-profile artists to donate poster designs for Barack Obama’s campaign for the presidency.…Read more
- For the past twelve years Marc Eckhardt has photographed the TYPO Berlin speakers when they exit the stage right after…Read more
- Ampersand wasn’t the only type conference this past weekend. From June 15 to 18 a sizable part of the type…Read more
- FontShop launches the first major upgrade to version 2.0 of its successful typographic reference iPad app FontBook.…Read more
- An experimental orgy of almost three minutes of mind-blowing animated typography directed and animated by Sebastian Lange.…Read more